Saturday, November 6, 2010

Paleo on the go


After 4 days in Chicago, I am finally back home. Cooking at home for the first time in 4 days was great. I found it very frustrating lately not to have control about what goes into my food. Overall I was very happy with my trip, I kept to my diet the whole time with two exceptions: one spoonful of tiramisu and a carrot/parsnip/potato puree. The experience was very interesting as it didn't prove as difficult as I thought to be on track. Here are a couple of tips:
1. Take a good snack box along. I mix nuts, dried fruits and beef jerky. I use a 310mL Citizenpip airtight food container.


2. Be prepared to walk in and out of restaurants. Sometimes it might just be too hard to switch up the ingredients for dishes.
3. Do scout the area for a health food store. Chicago had this great food store: Kramer's health food store close to where my conference was being held. I was able to buy trail mix, paleo coconut macaroons, coconut water and freeze dried fruits.
4. I went for the fish dishes many times: salmon with veggies, baked salmon and sashimi.
5. Don't loose your rhythm. If you are used to eating 5 times a day, try to keep that going. I find it is much harder to keep from eating non paleo food when starving. The temptation is stronger to just grab a sandwich, especially when suggested by coworkers.
6. Other people will find your diet bizarre, interesting, stupid, fun, entertaining...that's fine. I just think of the HSBC posters all over the airports: everyone sees things differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment