Saturday, November 6, 2010

Farmer's market!



New York has a number of Farmer's Markets but my favourite is Union Square's. I used to just buy some bread and yoghurt occasionally but now it has become the source of most of my meat and green vegetables.
The magic of the market lies partially in the fact that not all farmers are there on all days. For example the chicken and rabbit guys are only there on Fridays and the pheasant, venison and poultry guys on Saturdays.
Grazin' Acres has become my favourite place to buy grassfed beef from. I bought beef liver since I couldn't find chicken liver and some of their delicious beef chorizo sausages.
New to my shopping basket were bison jerky and ground meat and fresh brussels sprouts on the stick.
I bought both acorn and spaghetti squash and am excited to cook them tomorrow in the oven.
Markets are magical. Toulouse had a covered market on Sundays where I used to shop once in a while but where first and foremost I loved to walk around. Markets are about sights and smells and they remind me that supermarkets are a new invention. There were no true supermarkets up until 50 years ago. It has been a new evolution and has changed our food habits tremendously. I love the passion and knowledge of their products that the farmers have. How many times has some cashier asked you if you were buying cilantro or parsley and what the hell parsnip was? Anyhow the experience and the quality of products have me going back and appreciate the Farmer's market as it deserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment