Sunday, November 7, 2010

Beef liver with caramelized onions and apples, radish/parsnip/carrots puree and mustard greens


Grass-fed beef liver is loaded with healthy Omega 3iron, B vitamins and CLA. I love liver. My mom and dad have cooked liver for us as long as I can remember, mostly veal and chicken liver. I couldn't find any chicken liver at the Farmer's market yesterday and the rabbit guys are only there on Fridays. According to them, rabbit liver is delicious. In the meantime, I got beef liver from Grazin' Acres Angus farm. I have been buying their meat regularly and the quality has never failed to impress me. Liver is easy and fast to cook which makes it a perfect protein to cook for people who have limited time in the kitchen or kitchen novices. This whole recipe is extremely easy to cook and yields a great tasty dinner.

Ingredients: 

Beef liver
Grass-fed beef liver, 1 or 2 thinly cut slices per person
coconut flour
dried thyme

Caramelized onions and apples
2 large onions
2 small gala apples
a couple of pepper corns
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup stock (chicken or vegetable)

Puree
2 turnips
2 parsnips
2 carrots


Mustard greens
Bunch mustard greens cut coarsely
1/3 cup bacon
olive oil
3 garlic gloves
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 cups stock (chicken or vegetable according to taste)

Instructions: 

I had leftover root vegetable puree which I reheated. The recipe couldn't be simpler. Wash, peel and cut the vegetables (carrots, turnips, parsnips) into cubes. Add them to a pot of boiling water and boil until soft (I know this is vague but I always time by checking if a fork goes through the veggies easily instead of precise time). Use a colander to drain the vegetables then put them in a mixing bowl. I use a little bit of almond milk but you could save a little bit of the cooking water to soften the mixture when blending the vegetables into a puree. I have been using a stick hand blender for years.

Dice the onions, and cut the apples in thin wedges. Heat the olive oil in a stainless steel wok or skillet. Add the onions and let them caramelize over medium heat. Add the apples and the pepper corns to the mixture. When the apples' texture changes to a soft texture, add the stock and reduce the heat to let the mixture simmer. You can let this simmer until the dish is ready to serve.

In a heavy pot, heat the oil and then add the bacon. I use a Canadian low fat bacon. If you were using traditional bacon, do not use oil but use the bacon oil instead. With the Canadian bacon, saute the bacon for about a minute before adding the mustard greens and stirring them until they wilt. Add the seasoning and chicken broth. Reduce over medium heat, cover and stir occasionally. I cook my greens for about 20-30 mins but you could let them cook until all the liquid is evaporated.

The liver is easy to cook. Mix the coconut flour and the dried thyme in a plate. Dredge the liver in the flour mix and then transfer in a preheated skillet (with either coconut or olive oil). Liver cooks fast. Brown on both sides. It should take about 3 mins a side to cook the liver through.

Serve warm and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment