Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Time to grow

In my attempt to cut down my use of maple sugar and honey,  I started thinking about growing my own stevia. My grandmother has a stevia plant on her balcony in Switzerland and she will cut leaves to sweeten tea. I found a provider of organic non GMO stevia seeds on Amazon and then thought about how I could grow the stevia plant. I live in an apartment with no garden nor balcony. In winter, we get cold weather that would kill any plants grown outside. I recalled a conversation I had with my old boss who grew tomatoes in his apartment. After a short email exchange, I had my answer: a hypoponic gardening system, the Aerogarden.

Not only does it allow me to grow my own plants but also comes with seed kits. I started off (to try it out) by planting the classic herb garden collection: basil, dill, mint, chives, thyme and oregano. It's very entertaining to have an indoor garden. Everything is growing fine except the chives. I have hope they will catch up otherwise I will use the space to give the stevia a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment