Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Asparagus omelet, bacon and ... Grapes

For New Years day, I cooked brunch (recipe to follow soon) and I had these grapes that weren't all so pretty anymore but not bad yet. Now I love making compotes or fruit sauces. It's an easy quick dessert, I'll throw a cut apple, cut fruit or frozen fruit in a pan with some water, cinnamon and cayenne pepper and let it reduce. So I decided to cut the grapes in half and cook them in the bacon fat. The result was delicious! So delicious that I made it again this morning, although my grapes were fresh.

First I cooked my bacon in a pan and added the halved grapes (about a cup) as the bacon was nice and crispy. I removed the bacon and rested it on kitchen paper to allow for the extra fat to be absorbed. I wanted some onions in the dish; I used TJ balsamic glazed frozen onions. I added them with the grapes. The grapes and onions took about 5 min to be nicely cooked through.
The bacon fat gives the grapes a beautiful saltiness but the cooking process accentuates the sweetness. After removing and setting aside the grape/onion mix, I added my cut asparagus in the same pan. You could use fresh asparagus and sauté them for a couple of mins, but with the morning crunch, I used TJ frozen grilled asparagus. I defrosted them first and then sliced them diagonally. Finally I added my beaten eggs and scrambled them. The asparagus in omelet inspiration came from our friend Carlos who cooked us a delicious omelet when we stayed at his place over the holidays.

This was a very satisfying breakfast. I felt no need to have my mid-morning snack and I survived until 2pm when my meetings were or without feeling any negative hunger effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment